AIDS Support Group of Cape Cod Announces Call for Donations for AIDS Auction

Local artist Ed Crane featured on this year's auction t-shirt

Hyannis and Provincetown, MA - July 22, 2005 - The AIDS Support Group of Cape Cod (ASGCC) today announced a Capewide call for donations for its 19th Annual Benefit Fundraiser slated Labor Day Weekend, September 2 & 3 at Provincetown Town Hall.

 
Painting by Ed Crane. Courtesy of ASGCC.

Proceeds from the auctions will benefit the AIDS Support Group's Client Services, serving nearly 400 clients Cape-wide with offices in Hyannis and Provincetown. (The Support Group also serves an additional 400 consumers in Provincetown where it operates one of only four needle exchange programs in the state aimed at preventing the spread of HIV through the sharing of infected needles.) In the wake of very recent state budget cuts to Cape Cod AIDS programs, the ASGCC's call for community involvement is especially poignant and urgent this year. (70% of ASGCC's funds are state and federal grants with the remaining 30% dependent upon private fundraising.) The annual auction is the ASGCC's largest private fundraising event of the year.

This year's auction is underwritten in part by Thomas Brown Real Estate, Comcast, Seamen's Bank, Cosmos Catering, Radisson Hotel Hyannis, and Mary Deangelis/Daniel Cleary Intelligent Clothing for Men and Women.

The 19th Annual Auction includes an always heavily attended Silent Auction on Friday, September 2 from noon to 9pm and a popular Live Auction on Saturday, September 3 beginning at 5pm. Auctioneer Terry Catalano of Outer Cape Art Auctions will lead the vigorous live auction bidding from historic Town Hall auditorium stage.

The auction has a long history of producing a unique commemorative t-shirt featuring work by a local artist. This year's t-shirt features a white line block print image by artist Ed Crane, a longtime supporter of the ASGCC. Largely self-taught, Ed began painting in 1996. He has since exhibited work in Provincetown, Boston, Cambridge, and Osaka. His white line prints are currently on view at the Julie Heller Gallery in Provincetown. Ed has also shown his work at the Schoolhouse and Cortland Jessup Galleries and is a member of the Provincetown Art Association where his work is often included in group shows.

Businesses, artists and Cape residents interested in making charitable auction donations, monetary contributions, or volunteering are asked to contact Beth O'Rourke at the AIDS Support Group, tel. 508-487-9445, ext. 48.

More about AIDS SUPPORT GROUP OF CAPE COD

Founded in 1983, the AIDS Support Group of Cape Cod plays a vital role in serving the needs of people with HIV/AIDS on Cape Cod and giving support to their families, while educating the community-at-large about the disease. The mission of the ASGCC is to provide services within Cape Cod communities that maintain and enhance the quality of life of our clients, and provide health education and prevention information to Barnstable County via timely and accurate information about STDs, HIV and AIDS. For more information, visit www.asgcc.org or call 508-487-9445.

CapeCodToday.com welcomes thoughtful comments and the varied opinions of our readers. We are in no way obligated to post or allow comments that our moderators deem inappropriate. We reserve the right to delete comments we perceive as profane, vulgar, threatening, offensive, racially-biased, homophobic, slanderous, hateful or just plain rude. Commenters may not attack or insult other commenters, readers or writers. Commenters who persist in posting inappropriate comments will be banned from commenting on CapeCodToday.com.