Smoke fills Harwich Stop & Shop
HARWICH - Firefighters were called to the Stop & Shop in East Harwich about 11 PM Tuesday after smoke began filling the supermarket. Using a thermal imaging camera to see through the smoke they discovered a pallet of supplies on fire in the back of the story and were able to quickly put it out. Crews were on scene for some time venting the smoke from the store and investigating how the fire may have started. They believe an electrical short may have provided the spark that started the fire. The Harwich Health Department was called to see if food was damaged by the smoke. The store was opened for business as usual Wednesday morning. Posted on 9/13 at 2:00 AM; updated on 9/13 at 7:00 PM.
Teen killed after fall from moving vehicle at Otis Base
OTIS ANG BASE - A 17-year old boy was killed after falling off the trunk of a moving vehicle according to the Cape Cod Times. Officials responded to Kelly Road shortly after 5 PM Tuesday. The victim Keith Reese suffered head injuries and was rushed to Falmouth Hospital where he was pronounced dead. He was the son of the Coast Guard Master Chief at the base. The driver and another teen riding on the trunk were not injured. State Police who have jurisdiction over the base are investigation. Grief counselors are being made available at Bourne High School where Reese was a student. Posted on 9/13 at 6:30 AM; update don 9/14 at 6:30 AM.
West Barnstable fire damages kitchen
WEST BARNSTABLE - Firefighters are able to prevent major damage after a fire breaks out in the kitchen of a West Barnstable home. Crews responded to Lothrop Lane shortly before 6 PM. Fire was contained to the kitchen but there was some smoke damage in other rooms. Fire officials say a 17-year old was using a soup can to mold tortilla shells and dipping them in hot oil. Pressure apparently built up in the can causing the soup to explode. The teen suffered burns to the face but is expected to be okay. The Times reports the family had cooked this was many times in the past. Fire investigators warn that liquid in a sealed container will explode with boiled. Posted on 9/12 at 6:30 PM; updated on 9/13 at 7:00 PM.
Man airlifted after cutting leg with saw
BOURNE - A man was flown to a Boston hospital after accidentally cutting himself with a circular saw. Rescuers were called to a Cohasset Avenue home around 1:4o PM and discovered the man with a serious leg laceration. He was taken to the Mass Maritime Academy to meet the helicopter and flown to Brigham & Woman's Hospital. Posted on 9/12 at 6:30 PM.
An independent news service covering the Cape & Islands.
No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form without the express consent of the editor.
CapeCodFD Cape Cod FD's Live Scanner Cape Cod Live WEBCAMS
Looking for an old story? Use our archive service Cape court reports (CCT)
Ptown fireworks forum Cape Cod Today forecast Tide Info Live radar