Fatal crash in Yarmouth; State Police, civilian collide in Dennis; Boat vs. power line in Dennis; another boat falls off trailer in traffic

Fatal crash in Yarmouth

One person was killed when a full-sized Ford pickup crashed into a tree in Yarmouth.
YARMOUTH - One person was killed in a horrific crash early Sunday morning in Yarmouth when a four-door Ford F350 pickup truck slammed into a tree on North Dennis Road at Cranberry Lane about 1:10 a.m. Firefighters used the Jaws of Life to free the driver who tragically could not be saved.

Police identify the driver as 28-year-old Kendall Grew of Yarmouthport. Police say she was wearing her seatbelt and the vehicle's airbags deployed.

Yarmouth Officer Gordon T. Gibbons of the Cape Cod Regional Law Enforcement Accident Reconstruction Unit is investigating the cause of the crash. Speed is believed to have been a factor. State Police assisted Yarmouth in securing the scene and rerouting traffic for about three hours.

In a tragic irony Grew's husband was in a Jeep behind her and witnessed the crash. Yarmouth Police tell CWN while securing the fatal crash scene, providing assistance, and conducting the investigation they encountered two men at the scene who had been in a 2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon just prior to the crash. The passenger in the Jeep was Joshua Grew, the husband of the victim. The operator of the Jeep was 30-year old Brett A. Reardon of West Yarmouth who is a close friend of the couple.

The on-scene follow-up investigation revealed that the Ford pick up truck and the Jeep Wrangler were both northbound on North Dennis Road. The crash occurred and the occupants of the Jeep were immediately at the scene of the crash. Both men were extremely upset and were provided immediate assistance. Grew was taken to Cape Cod Hospital for evaluation and eventually released.

Reardon remained at the scene but Yarmouth Police say he repeatedly interfered with firefighters and police officers. Despite numerous and repeated attempts to console him throughout the dramatic situation, Reardon continued to be combative, threatening, and volatile. He was determined to be intoxicated and was consequently placed under arrest for OUI Liquor, Disorderly Conduct, and Interfering with the Duties of a Firefighter. He was transported to Yarmouth Police headquarters and is scheduled for arraignment in the Barnstable District Court on Tuesday.

There was no physical contact between the Ford pickup, the Jeep, or any other vehicle.

The Yarmouth Police Department is continuing the investigation. Anyone with information about this tragedy is asked to contact Yarmouth Police Detective Eric H. Nuss at 508-775-0445 extension 150. (Photos by R. Copley).

State Police Cruiser collides with Acura Legend

A state police cruiser and a car collided on Great Western Road in South Dennis.
SOUTH DENNIS - The call came in to Dennis Fire headquarters at 6:02 p.m. Saturday reporting a crash near the entrance to Robert Childs Inc., on Great Western Road in South Dennis near the Harwich town line.

Witnesses at the scene report that an Acura Legend was headed westbound on Great Western Road and was apparently about to turn left into the Childs entrance road when it was struck by a Massachusetts State Police cruiser, also traveling westbound reportedly at a high rate of speed according to witnesses. It could not immediately be confirmed if the cruiser was responding to an emergency at the time of the crash.

The cruiser had attempted to pass the Acura on the left. The impact spun the Acura 180 degrees and sent the cruiser over the curb and into a tree on the right-hand side of the road, about 100 yards from the collision. The driver of the Acura was transported to Cape Cod Hospital by Harwich ambulance. The trooper Steven Culver was treated and released at Cape Cod Hospital. Dennis, Harwich, and State Police were all on the scene. The crash remains under investigation. (Story and photos by Kevin Morley)

Sailboat vs. wires in West Dennis
Dismasted sailboat sits on Uncle Freeman’s road with Bass River in the background. Inset: Buckled mast

2_ffs_moving_mast_400WEST DENNIS – A boat owner trailering his Hunter sailboat out of Bass River around 10 a.m. Saturday neglected one critical step in the process: removing the mast. As he towed the boat up Uncle Freeman’s Road from the town landing, the mast hooked overhead utility wires and buckled.

As the mast came down, it tore the wires from a nearby house owned by Eleanor and Edward Dunn and grazed the roof of their minivan parked in the driveway.

Firefighters and police officers kept traffic away from the street as they secured the area.

After ensuring that there was no immediate danger from electric shock, firefighters cleared the tangle of utility wires and boat rigging from the mast. Then they helped boat owner Michael Muir of West Boylston secure the damaged mast to the boat, enabling him to continue on his way.

In the photo on right, firefighters lift the mast as they prepare to move boat away from downed wires. (Story and photos by Kevin Morley) 

... And in Yarmouth a boat slides off trailer, blocking road
- A boat came off its trailer in Yarmouth late Saturday afternoon. It happened on the Highbank Road bridge not far from Wilbur Park. No one was injured but traffic was slowed to a crawl until the boat could be removed.  (Photo by R. Copley)


CapeCodToday.com welcomes thoughtful comments and the varied opinions of our readers. We are in no way obligated to post or allow comments that our moderators deem inappropriate. We reserve the right to delete comments we perceive as profane, vulgar, threatening, offensive, racially-biased, homophobic, slanderous, hateful or just plain rude. Commenters may not attack or insult other commenters, readers or writers. Commenters who persist in posting inappropriate comments will be banned from commenting on CapeCodToday.com.