Man sentenced in hotel child molestation case; Two OUI arrested in 12 hours; Hyannis shoplifter resists arrest; Yarmouth ice-pick stabbing

Man sentenced in Hotel child molestation case
- A Waltham man convicted of molesting a young boy in a poolside restroom at the Cape Codder Resort in 2006 has been sentenced to 7-9 years in prison. John E. Cox was accused of sexually assaulting the boy in May of 2006. The break in the case came about a year later when a DNA match tied Cox to the crime. He later confessed in court. CWN file scene photo by Frank Paparo. On right: sketch of suspect released at time by Barnstable Police.

Solar glare nearly causes tragedy in Dennis

Dennis Police at what could have been a tragic crash late Friday afternoon.
- On Friday, just before 4 p.m., what could have been a tragedy ended up as a fender bender on Route 6A in East Dennis at the intersection of School Street and Airline Road. A Buick Century wagon with two women on board was traveling west on 6A into the setting sun when a Honda sedan, driven by a female driver, the lone occupant, attempted to make a right turn to head west on 6A as well. Reports at the scene indicate that the Honda driver did not see the Buick and pulled out. Fortunately, the Buick was traveling at a very safe speed and the driver was able to avoid a direct hit, glancing off the Honda instead. There were no injuries and both vehicles were driven from the scene. Story and photos by Kevin Morley.

Two injured in Yarmouth crash
- An apparent rear-end collision sent two people to Cape Cod Hospital shortly before 7 p.m. Friday evening. The crash ocurred on Route 28, just west of the lights at South Yarmouth 4 corners. The two patients were transported by Yarmouth Fire Department ambulances with injuries that were not life-threatening. Both vehicles were towed from the scene. Yarmouth Police are investigating. Story and photo by Richard Copley.

Morning two-car crash sends one to the hospital
Two alleged OUI crashes in Yarmouth in 12 hours

yarmouth022908c_200SOUTH YARMOUTH - Just after 9 a.m. Yarmouth Police tell CWN they responded to a motor vehicle crash at the intersection of Regional and Diane Avenue in South Yarmouth. Yarmouth Police Patrol Officers Andrew O'Malley and Kalil Boghdan arrived at the scene and found that a 2002 Dodge Caravan had collided with a 2005 Toyota Prius.

Members of the Yarmouth Fire Department provided medical treatment to the operator of the Toyota for injuries considered not life-threatening. Patrol Officers O'Malley and Boghdan met with the operator of the Caravan 45-year-old Tracy Rogers and conducted and interview and a series of field sobriety tests which indicated that she was intoxicated and was placed under arrest for operating under the influence of alcohol and failing to stop for a red light.

In a related story, on Thursday evening at 8:48 p.m. the Yarmouth Police Department received a cell phone call from a concerned citizen who had just witnessed a 2002 white Chevrolet van crash into the traffic island and chain link fence at the intersection Wood Road and Route 28 in South Yarmouth and drive off. The concerned citizen remained behind the vehicle and on the phone with Yarmouth Police Dispatcher Jayne Fogarty as Yarmouth Police Patrol Officer Raymond A. Scichilone spotted the vehicle and stopped it on Forest Road.

With back-up assistance from fellow Yarmouth Police Patrol Officer John Dimitres, an interview and subsequent field sobriety tests were conducted that indicated that the operator 38-year-old Emily L. Lewis of Yarmouthport was intoxicated and she was placed under arrest for operating under the influence of alcohol, leaving the scene of a property damage accident, failing to stop for a red light and speeding.

Both women were due to be arraigned in Barnstable District Court Friday morning.

Scene photo by Richard Copley,
mugshots furnished by YPD.

Shoplifter allegedly resists arrest

Police and an ambulance outside the CVS in Hyannis.
- At 9:15 a.m. Friday, Barnstable Police responded to a male shoplifter at the CVS at North Street and & High School Road in Hyannis. When confronted by loss prevention, he began allegedly began to get combative. When police arrived he reportedly tried to get away and apparently fell on the ground on his own receiving a small scrape on his forehead. Hyannis rescue responded and transported the suspect under police escort to Cape Cod Hospital. The unidentified suspect was reportedly charged with shoplifting and resisting arrest. Story and photos by Frank Paparo. 

Police Investigate Early Morning Stabbing in West Yarmouth
- On Friday at 03:38 a.m. the emergency room staff at Cape Cod Hospital notified the Yarmouth Police Department that a stabbing victim had just arrived in the Emergency Center.

Members of the Yarmouth Police Patrol Force responded to CCH and met with a 43-year-old West Yarmouth man who was suffering from multiple stab wounds to his face and chest and a female friend who witnessed the incident. Yarmouth Police Patrol Officer Christopher Marino's initial investigation indicated that the attack had occurred earlier in the morning at 251 Old Town House Road in West Yarmouth. The preliminary investigation revealed that the suspect was fighting with his girlfriend and the victim was injured when he intervened. Prior to his involvement the suspect had struck the woman several times-pulled the phone from the wall so she could not call the police-and struck her with it.

Yarmouth Police Detective Charles Earl Peterson began a follow-up investigation and Barnstable County Sheriff's Officer Crime Scene Investigator William Jacques provided crime scene management and evidence collection services.

A short time later Yarmouth Police Patrol Officers Christopher Van Ness-Sean Brewer-Paul Mellett-K9 Patrol Officer Marc Thibeault-Patrol Sergeant Patrick Carty-and Yarmouth Police Detective Russell Giammarco located the suspect 42-year-old Claude J. Gray in an upstairs bedroom at 251 Old Town Hose Road and placed him in custody. Gray was charged with Felony Assault and Battery by Means of a Dangerous Weapon (Ice Pick), Felony Assault with Intent to Murder, Felony Assault and Battery by Means of a Dangerous Weapon (Telephone), and Felony Intimidating a Witness. He was processed at Yarmouth Police Headquarters and was scheduled for arraignment Friday morning in the Barnstable District Court

Yarmouth Police are currently in the process of completing the investigation. Anyone with any additional information is asked to contact Yarmouth Police Detective Peterson at 508-775-0445 extension 125. Mugshot furnished by YPD.

seepreviousreport welcomes thoughtful comments and the varied opinions of our readers. We are in no way obligated to post or allow comments that our moderators deem inappropriate. We reserve the right to delete comments we perceive as profane, vulgar, threatening, offensive, racially-biased, homophobic, slanderous, hateful or just plain rude. Commenters may not attack or insult other commenters, readers or writers. Commenters who persist in posting inappropriate comments will be banned from commenting on