The Cape Cod Kidz What to Do on the Weekend Guide
Featuring Christine's top picks for September 16-19, 2011
Linda Flynn judges Spaniels in the ring. Photo by Samantha Pearsall.
By Christine Chapman
So Fall feels like it's in full swing and hopefully the beautiful weather we havebeen having all week will continue to grace us with its presence. I know it isforecast to get a little colder but that's New England for you! As usual,there's a lot going on here on Cape Cod. Here's hoping you all have the opportunity to enjoy this upcoming weekendwith your families.
Puma Park in Truro--one of the many fun spots in Truro this weekend during Truro Treasures Weekend. Jane Booth photo.
- The Cranberry Cluster Dog Shows are happening all weekend at the Barnstable Fair Grounds in Falmouth. This sounds like a great time for the whole family! From 7:00 AM - 6:00 PM, Sept. 15-18.
- The Harwich Cranberry Arts & Music Festival sounds like a lot of fun for the whole family! Head out to Brooks Park in Harwich from 9am to 7:30pm on Saturday and 9am to 5pm on Sunday to enjoy art and music. For more information, go to www.harwichcranberryfestival.org.
- 20th Annual Truro Treasures Weekend. Weekend -long celebration. Pancake breakfast, arts and crafts show, kids' activities, 5K run/walk, golf tournament, auction, adult treasure hunt, jazz festival and much more. Venues throughout Truro. www.trurotreasures.org.
- Family Camping Weekend is happening this weekend on Saturday and Sunday at The Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary. Experience the best of the sanctuary in one weekend, from birds of prey and seashore creatures to woodland explorations and terrapin hatchlings, while you camp out under the stars with your family in the sanctuary's campground. Best for families with kids ages 6 and up; younger children are welcome but may not be able to fully participate in all activities. Weather may change activities but not the amount of fun!
- Exhibition: Children's Book Illustrations by Scott Nash continues from 12:00 PM - 04:00 PM at the Centerville Historical Museum throughout the weekend and will run until the end of September.
ForFriday September 16, 2011:
- Farmer's Markets continue: Osterville Farmers' Market from 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM at the Osterville Historical Museum in Osterville and/or Provincetown Farmers' Market from 11:00 AM - 4:00 PM in Provincetown
- Small Fries: What Dwells in Shells, ages 2-5 is being offered again this week from 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM. Take the opportunity to engage your preschooler in nature with this Mommy-and-Me-style class. Through the use of songs, stories, role plays, crafts, and hands-on explorations, your preschooler will discover the world around them and develop cognitive, motor, and social skills. Each class focuses on a special animal or habitat. Call the Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary in South Wellfleet for more information.
- Children's Music Network 2011 Conference : Enjoy fun, friendship, and music--with workshops, songswaps, and a keynote presentation by singer/storyteller, Barry Louis Polisar. At the Resort and Conference Center in Hyannis. All Day!
- Toddler Town is from 10:30 AM - 1:00 PM at Wellfleet Public Library. There will be the opportunity to have fun at their indoor gym at 11am.
- Preschool Storytime starts at 10:30 AM at Eastham Public Library for ages 2 - 5 and includes stories, fingerplays, songs, silliness and a craft. All are welcome.
- Head out to Green Briar Nature Center with your family to enjoy Critter Capers from 10:30 AM - 11:00 AM Visit with a naturalist and one of the animals and learn about life cycles, habits and habitats. This program, which is offered every Friday morning, is suitable for children ages 3 and up with an adult. Green Briar Nature Center is in East Sandwich.
- Bring your blankets and chairs and settle in under the stars at The Heritage Museums and Gardens in Sandwich, MA for a family friendly movie! You can get there early and enjoy fun and crafts in Hidden Hollow and also a pre-show activity at our Outdoor Stage. Family Movie Nights Under The Stars from 6:00 PM - 9:30 PM
- Cruise through Nauset Marsh on a pontoon boat in search of shorebirds and other wildlife. The Nauset Marsh Scenic Cruise will take place from 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM. Learn about salt marsh ecology and the cultural history of the area. $35 members; $40 non-members; $10 less for children ages 6-12. This event is made possible through the Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary in South Wellfleet.
- For kids between grades 3 and 7, Rock Night at HYCC offers kids the opportunity to skate to the beat of popular music and socialize with their friends from 7:15 PM - 9:15 PM at The Hyannis Youth and Community Center.
OnSaturday September 17, 2011:
The Turtlesinger Show is at 1 p.m. during the Cape Cod Wildlife Festival. Photo courtesy of MA Audubon/Turtlesinger.com.
- More Farmer's Markets to explore:the SandwichFarmers' Market at Oak Crest is from 8:00 AM - 1:00 PM at OakCrest in Sandwich and then there's the OrleansFarmers' Marketfrom 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM in Orleans.
- TheWestBarnstable Train Station & Museum OPEN from 9:00AM - 2:00 PM.The "CapeCod Chapter, National Railway Historical Society maintains and operates thetrain station on donations and volunteerism. Cape Cod Central Scenic Train Ridetickets on sale at the ticket window in the train station up to train departureat 11:55am every Saturday from May 28 to October 15; Train Station and Museumopen for families and visitors 9:00am to 2:00pm.
- Tour RacePoint Lighthouse from 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM. I lovelighthouses so this event is always a special treat and something I know thewhole family would enjoy! Race Point Lighthouse isreached by way of a nice walk or if you have the proper permit, you can drivein your 4-wheel drive. Provincetown.
- Meet theRaptors from1:30 PM - 2:30 PM. Pre-registration is required for this event. Learn what distinguishes thesefascinating hunters from other birds and what role they play in our environmentby observing several live raptors. There will be a visiting Teacher Naturalistfrom Mass Audubon's Blue Hills Trailside Museum. All ages are welcome. Forsafety reasons, participants will not be invited to touch the live raptors.This event takes place at the Mass Audubon -- Wellfleet BayWIldlife Sanctuary in South Wellfleet.
- Cape CodWildlife Festival This free event sounds awesome forall you wildlife lovers! From 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM at MassAudubon's Long Pasture Wildlife Sanctuary's Visitor Center in Cummaquid, yourfamily will take part in a celebration of Cape Cod Wildlife andHabitats! This event is sponsored by the Cape Cod Wildlife Collaborative andgives families the opportunity to meet wildlife organizations from theCape andbeyond, and enjoy exhibits, activities, food, wild entertainment and abeautiful view of Barnstable Harbor!
- Family JamWorkshops continue from 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM at the Green Briar Nature Center and Jam Kitchen in East Sandwich. Thisweek it's mango plum jam on the schedule! YUM!
SundaySeptember 18, 2011:
There are awhole lot of things going on Sunday that has already been mentioned in theweekend long events. For my family, though, Sundays are kind of a sacredrelaxing time...with minimal commitments and a lot of quiet family time. We'reprobably going to end up hanging out in our yard, weather permitting! Have awonderful weekend, everyone.