I love spring—it’s just such a hopeful time of the year here in New England. The temperature has been a bit of a mixed bag, but today, it was just gorgeous—water gleaming on the canal as I crossed the Sagamore Bridge. Just gorgeous. It makes me feel so grateful to have lived with Cape Cod a real, integral part of their early years. We are lucky to live in such a beautiful place.
This weekend is both Passover and Easter. In both cases, there is a promise that signals renewals, new life. For me, it always feels like a time of change, of fresh starts and new adventures. Spring is full of that promise—in the bushes and trees budding again, and in soft pastels and vibrant splashes of color in the drawings of children depicting Easter eggs and bunnies and sweet treats!
The Cape Cod Kidz What to do on the Weekend Guide by Christine Chapman
We’ve got some weekend-long fun for you!:
- My Impressions of Impressionism: Art by Students from Mattacheese Middle School In the Board Room through April 8. Gallery Hours are M-F, 9-5, Sat 11-5, Sun 12-5 and by chance. Cultural Center of Cape Cod in S. Yarmouth; Friday-Sunday
- HJT presents "Babe, the Sheep Pig" 7:30 PM Harwich Junior Theatre (Harwich). Friday at 7:30 and Saturday and Sunday at 2pm. BABE, THE SHEEP PIG - April 6 - April 22 with school vacation week performances! Play by David Wood. Adapted from the book, The Sheep-Pig by Dick King-Smith. Friday eves at 7:30PM Saturdays and Sundays at 2 PM. Special April Vacation performances on Monday – Friday April 16, 17, 18, 19 and 20 at 2PM. Deep down, Babe just knows he’s a champion. An epic tale of a little pig, with magical transformations that bring every quirky character from the beloved story to life! Tickets; $22 Adult and $15 youth under 21.
- “Hop” into Easter! 10:00 AM - 08:00 PM on Friday and Saturday. Cape Cod Mall in Hyannis. Cape Cod Mall invites Hyannis area kids and parents to attend a family-friendly Easter Photo Experience event. Kids will have the chance to visit with the Easter Bunny and get ready for the Blu-ray DVD release of HOP from Universal Studios on March 23, the all-new comedy about candy, chicks and rock ‘n’ roll! Visit Facebook.com/CapeCodMall for more details! Monday – Saturday 10am – 8pm, Sunday 12pm – 6pm
Here’s wishing you all a great weekend. There is so much to do on Cape Cod, and I’m sure you’ll find that your little ones have plenty of stimulation and fun ahead!
For Friday April 6, 2012:
- Toddler Time 9:00 AM - 10:30 AM Early Childhood Educator "Miss Mary" leads this popular class that provides a great socialization opportunity for up to 12 children, ages 18 months to 3 years old and their caregivers. Spring session runs through May 7. Pre-registration is required.
- Stroller Skating 9:30AM - 10:30AM. Stroller skating. Tickets available at the skate sharpening and rental booth. Admission: Adults (18+): $7. Students (17 and under): $5. Seniors (62+): $2. Rentals: $5. Hyannis Youth & Community Center in Hyannis.
- Public Skating 09:30 AM - 02:00 PM. Tickets available at the skate sharpening and rental booth. Admission: Adults (18+): $7. Students (17 and under): $5. Seniors (62+): $2. Rentals: $5. Hyannis Youth & Community Center in Hyannis.
- Critter Capers 10:30 AM Get out to Green Briar Nature Center for a half-hour visit with the naturalist and one of the nature center’s resident animals. Suitable for families with children ages 3 and up. Fee is $2 per person. Advance registration is not required. Green Briar Nature Center and Jam Kitchen in East Sandwich.
- Spaghetti Supper 6:00 PM. $6.00 for adults, no charge for kids! Spaghetti and Meatballs, Garlic Bread, Tossed Salad, Dessert, Coffee, Tea, Milk. Please plan to attend and bring a friend! 6pm on the first Friday of every month. At The Congregational Church of South Dennis in South Dennis.
- Rock Night (Grades 1-3) 7:00 PM. Rock night, grades 1-3, 7pm to 9pm. Tickets available at the skate sharpening and rental booth. Admission: $5. Rentals: $5. Hyannis Youth & Community Center in Hyannis.
On Saturday April 7, 2012:
- Easter Eggs-press Train Ride and Egg Hunt 09:30 AM - 01:00 PM. Departs Hyannis 9:30 am, returns 1:00 pm; Departs Sandwich 10:15 am, returns at 12:40 pm. Celebrate the return of spring with a fun outing for the whole family! Board the train in Hyannis (or Sandwich) for an hour-long scenic excursion over the Cape Cod Canal -- traveling a mere seven feet above the water on the Cape’s unique horizontal-lift train bridge -- into Buzzard’s Bay. The Easter Bunny will be waiting to greet you on the big lawn alongside the canal where you’ll enjoy an egg hunt and other games. You’ll also have time to share a picnic (available for purchase on board the train) or just take in the views before returning to Hyannis. Don’t forget to bring an empty Easter basket to fill. Cape Cod Central Railroad in Hyannis.
- Dennis & Yarmouth Recreation Easter Egg Hunt 10:00 AM. The Easter Bunny only has a certain amount of eggs so come early. We ask that each child only collect 10 eggs. For all children 10 and under**There will be a separate hunt for preschoolers. Bring a basket to collect your eggs.
The Easter Bunny will be available for pictures. Please bring your camera to take a memorable picture for your scrapbook. We ask that parents not collect eggs. Johnny Kelley Park in South Dennis.
- Annual Easter Egg Hunt Bring the kids to our Annual Easter Egg Hunt, hosted by Mashpee Commons and 106 WCOD. It's sure to be an egg-cellent event with over 1500 eggs to find, filled with candies and prizes! Little ones, ages 0-4, get a head start at 10:20, Kids ages 5-7 at 10:45, Big Kids ages 8-10 at 11:00. Three lucky eggs in each round, will contain a Mashpee Commons Gift Card. Spin WCOD's lucky wheel for your chance to win great prizes. 10am to 12pm. Mashpee Commons in Mashpee.
- Family Whale Walk Saturday, April 7 from 10am to 12pm. Endangered right whales stop over in Cape Cod Bay each spring to feed in the zooplankton-rich waters. Join us at Herring Cove and Race Point beaches in Provincetown for a chance to observe right whales from shore. We'll bring whale bones and other artifacts to help us learn about whale evolution and conservation. Directions provided upon registration. Herring Cove and Race Point beaches in Provincetown.
- Animal Story Time 10:30 AM. During the spring, fall and winter, drop by and join a naturalist for a lively story of "Peter Rabbit" and friends and visit with one of the resident animals. Suitable for families with children ages 2.5 and up. No advanced registration required. Free for members; Non-members $2 per person. Green Briar Nature Center in East Sandwich.
- Annual Easter Egg Hunt at the Sea Call Farm in Orleans, MA at 1:00 PM. Bring your own basket or container.
- Audubon Children's Program - Seals! 2:00PM. The Brewster Ladies’ Library will be holding a Massachusetts Audubon Society program about seals on Saturday, April 7. Presented by the Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary, this program invites children and families to learn about seals through role play and games. Brewster Ladies' Library in Brewster. This sounds like a really great experience.
- Public Skating 2:00PM - 4:00PM Tickets available at the skate sharpening and rental booth.
Admission: Adults (18+): $7. Students (17 and under): $5. Seniors (62+): $2. Rentals: $5. Hyannis Youth & Community Center in Hyannis.
- Ice! Camera! Action! Learn to Skate Annual Figure Skating Show 06:30 PM Saturday, April 7 at 6:30pm. A celebration of the movies. Free admission. Donations are gratefully accepted and will help to fund our year-round US Figure Skating Learn to Skate Program. FEATURE PROGRAMS. Come and See What We’ve Been Working So Hard For All Year! Hyannis Youth & Community Center in Hyannis. Bring your aspiring ice skaters and get them excited about what they can achieve in our Learn to Skate program and beyond.
Sunday April 8, 2012:
- Gourmet Easter Dinner Train Gourmet Easter Dinner Train. Sunday, April 8 from 1-4 pm. Join us for a unique and memorable Easter Dinner. Relax in style as Cape Cod whirls past you, bursting with spring colors and smells. Enjoy a delicious five-course gourmet dinner, expertly served on crisp white linens and freshly prepared on board by our award-wining chef, Rich Davis. Board the train in Hyannis and leave the work to him this holiday – have an adventure instead! For more information or to buy tickets, please visit www.capetrain.com or call 508-771-3800.
Cape Cod Central Railroad in Hyannis. This sounds awesome!!! I may have to see if this might be an Easter option for my family.
Have a great weekend! Here’s wishing you an Easter that is fun, filled with togetherness and joy.