WELLFLEET - Wellfleet Animal Control Officer Lorial Russell issued a warning yesterday to pet owners. According to a Wellfleet police release, Russell has been contacted by five dog owners in town whose pets have been taken ill after ingesting an unknown poison/toxin.
According to Russell, the blood work for each dog showed a poison or toxin in the animal's system. The tests did not determine the type of toxin the dog had ingested.
Each of the dog owners admitted that their dog had been running free prior to becoming ill, leaving the source of the toxin a mystery.
Russell reminds all dog owners in Wellfleet to abide by the town's leash law and to know where their dogs are at all times. She also reminded all property owners to properly cover and/or contain any toxins on their property. "Poisoning is a slow and painful death. We do not wish any animal, domesticated or wild, to have to endure or suffer through in inadvertent poisoning," Russell said.
Contact your vet immediately if your pet appears to be sick or acting strangely. Early detection is key, according to Russell.
Anyone who hears or sees anything suspicious is asked to contact the Wellfleet police or the animal control officer at 508-349-3702.