Mashpee firefighters respond to carbon monoxide call

Gas generator found to be the source of carbon monoxide scare
Screen capture from video of the gas generator that caused the high levels of carbon monoxide in a Mashpee home Sunday. Video by David G. Curran.

MASHPEE - Mashpee firefighters responded to a 911 call Sunday reporting the odor of gas at a Mashpee home. When firefighter arrived, they discovered the carbon monoxide level in the home far exceeded safety requirements.

According to Captain Kevin Long, the initial 911 call was placed by a visiting nurse upon entering the home. 

Firefighters determined the cause of the potentially lethal levels to be a gas generator operating on the outdoor deck of the home.

The carbon monoxide levels in the home were 200 parts per million on the first floor and 350 parts per million in the basement--both life-threatening.

Safety officials warn the public to exercise extra caution when using alternative heating and electrical sources in power-outage situations.


CapeCodToday.com welcomes thoughtful comments and the varied opinions of our readers. We are in no way obligated to post or allow comments that our moderators deem inappropriate. We reserve the right to delete comments we perceive as profane, vulgar, threatening, offensive, racially-biased, homophobic, slanderous, hateful or just plain rude. Commenters may not attack or insult other commenters, readers or writers. Commenters who persist in posting inappropriate comments will be banned from commenting on CapeCodToday.com.