Two apartments damaged by Harwich kitchen fire

Sprinklers cause damage in two of four units on Sisson Road Saturday

HARWICH - Harwich firefighters responded to a kitchen fire in an apartment at 117 Sisson Road just after 12 a.m. Saturday. According to a Harwich Fire Department release, the call first came in as an automated sprinkler alarm and was followed by a phone call from the resident reporting smoke.

The fire had already been extinguished before firefighters arrived. According to HFD, the fire had started when a lit stove ignited material on and around the stove. The resident was able to douse the fire with water, but the heat already generated from the fire set off the sprinklers.

Despite the fire being out, the sprinkler system continued to operate until it could be shut down. Moderate damage was done to two of the four units in the apartment building.

All residents were evacuated. One person was evaluated at the scene but was not taken to the hospital, according to HFD.

The Red Cross helped the displaced residents with temporary lodging.


CapeCodToday.com welcomes thoughtful comments and the varied opinions of our readers. We are in no way obligated to post or allow comments that our moderators deem inappropriate. We reserve the right to delete comments we perceive as profane, vulgar, threatening, offensive, racially-biased, homophobic, slanderous, hateful or just plain rude. Commenters may not attack or insult other commenters, readers or writers. Commenters who persist in posting inappropriate comments will be banned from commenting on CapeCodToday.com.