Lots of Independence Day fun planned for the weekend and of course, Monday, July 4th. Here, the Orleans 4th of July Parade. Photo by John Fitts.
Cape Cod is gearing up for another fantastic 4th of July! Although the majority of the Cape's Independence Day events will take place on Monday, July 4, the celebration begins Friday, July 1.
Locals and visitors will both enjoy the coming fun-filled few days. So get out your red, white and blue and get ready to get patriotric!
Friday, July 1
- POSTPONED-DUE TO IMPENDING INCLEMENT WEATHER, THIS EVENT HAS BEEN POSTPONED TO 7/2 - Mashpee Community Picnic & Fireworks: 5:00pm. Rain date 7/2. Live music and fun. Bring chairs and blankets. Food for sale. Fireworks at dusk. Mashpee High School, 500 Old Barnstable Road, Mashpee. 508-539-1416.
Saturday, July 2
- Bark in the Park Dog Parade: 10:00am-11:30am. A new Yarmouth Summer Celebration event. Yarmouth Dog Park, Buck Island Road, West Yarmouth.
- Blessing of the Boats: 1:00pm-2:30pm. A new Yarmouth Summer Celebration event. Bass River Beach Fish Pier, South Yarmouth.
- Orleans 4th of July Fireworks: Dusk. Rain date 7/3. Rock Harbor, Orleans.
Sunday, July 3
- 42nd Annual Wellfleet Road Race: 8:30am 5-mile race; 10:00am 1.2-mile kid fun run. Presented by Wellfleet Rec. Mayo Beach, Kendrick Ave., Wellfleet.
- Strawberry Festival: 2:00pm-4:00pm. Homemade strawberry shortcake, live music. Presented by the Wellfleet Historical Society & Museum. Wellfleet, Preservation Hall, 335 Main Street, Wellfleet. 508-349-9157.
Monday, July 4
- 4th of July Refreshment Stand: 8:00am-end of parade. First Congregational Church of Chatham, 650 Main Street, Chatham. 508-945-0800.
- 4th of July Refreshments: 8:00am-12:00pm. Unitarian Universalist Meeting House, 819 Main Street, Chatham. 617-354-3005.
- 40th Annual Antique & Craft Faire: 8:00am-2:00pm, rain or shine. Presented by the Wareham Historical Society. $3 admission. Museum tour, minutemen muster, appraisals. Antiques at Village Green, Main Street, Craft Faire at Congregational Church Hall, Gibbs Ave., Wareham. 508-295-8578.
- Barnstable 4th of July Parade: 9:00am. Parade and village activities. Barnstable/West Barnstable.
- Hyannis Port Beach Club 2K Run/Parade: 9:00am. Parade and village activities. Barnstable/West Barnstable.
- Chatham 4th of July Parade: 9:30am. One of the oldest in the US. Theme: “Freedom is Not Free”. Main Street, Chatham.
- Bourne on the 4th of July Parade: 10:00am. Route along Main Street, Buzzards Bay.
- Centerville 4th of July Parade: 10:00am. Followed by food, fun and field games. Begins at Centerville Elementary School, Centerville.
- 4th of July Bike & Carriage Parade:10:00am. Main Street, Falmouth.
- Orleans 4th of July Parade:10:00am. Theme: “Stars & Stripers-Catch the Spirit”. Begins at Eldredge Parkway, Orleans.
- Spirit of Sandwich 4th of July Parade & Events: 8:30am road race. 10:00am parade begins at HT Wing School on Water Street. Followed by field games, picnic and music from 12:00pm-2:00pm, muster at 1:00pm. 7:30pm concert on Shawme Pond, 9pm boat parade. Sandwich. 508-888-4361.
- Cotuit 4th of July Parade: 11:00am. Main Street, Cotuit.
- Provincetown 4th of July Parade: 11:00am. Commercial Street, Provincetown.
- July 4th Strawberry Festival: 11:00am. Following the 4th of July parade. Strawberry shortcake. Hot dogs, sandwiches available. First United Methodist Church, 16 Cross Street, Chatham. 508-945-0474.
- Hyannis 4th of July Boat Parade: 1:15pm, best viewing along Ocean Street around 2p.m. Sponsored by Hyannis Marina. Hyannis Inner Harbor, Hyannis.
- Hyannis 4th of July Parade: 4pm. Main Street, Hyannis.
- Town Band Concert: 5pm-7pm. Free. Village Green, Main Street, Hyannis.
- 4th of July Concert: 7pm-dusk. Free concert featuring local musicians. Aselton Park, South and Ocean Streets, Hyannis.
- Cape Cod Baseball League Games: 5:00pm HAR at BRE; 6:00pm COT at FAL; 6:00pm Y-D at HYA; 6:30pm BOU at WAR; 7:00pm ORL at CHA. See abbreviation key & field list here.
- Falmouth 4th of July Fireworks: Dusk. Falmouth Heights Beach, Falmouth Heights Road, Falmouth.
- Hyannis 4th of July Fireworks: Dusk. View from Aselton Park, Veterans Beach. Over Lewis Bay, Hyannis Harbor, Hyannis.
- Provincetown 4th of July Fireworks: Dusk. MacMillan Wharf, Provincetown Harbor, Provincetown.
July 4 & 5
- 2nd Annual Cape Cod Canal Fest: Arts & crafts, music, seafood tent, food trucks, beer & wine garden, kids activities. 4th of July parade at 10:00am 7/4. Benefits National Marine Life Center. Buzzards Bay Park, Main Street, Buzzards Bay.
Tuesday, July 5
- Star-Spangled Chatham Boat Parade: 12:30pm along Oyster River, 1:00pm at Oyster Pond Beach. Sponsored by the Monomoy Yacht Club. Oyster Pond Beach, Stage Harbor Road, Chatham.
And, technically not a 4th of July event, but there are fireworks...
- Annual Sandwich Town Fair: 6:00pm-closing, 7/6-7/8; 4:00pm-closing 6/9. Rides, games and food each night. Fireworks at dusk on 7/8, rain date for fireworks 7/9. Sandwich High School, 365 Meeting House Road, Sandwich.
What's Open, What's Closed
Federal, state and town offices will be closed on Monday, July 4 in observation of the federal holiday. The United States Post Office is closed too. Stores will be open. Some businesses may be closed in celebration of the 4th.
Event Road Closures/Detours/Parking Bans
- Hyannis: For the 4th of July parade, a parking ban will be in effect from 2:00pm to 6:00pm on Main Street. Main Street and South Street will be closed to motor vehicle traffic. Also all of Main Street; Old Colony Road and Ocean Street from Soouth Street to Main Street will be closed to motor vehicle traffic beginning at 3:00pm.
- Provincetown: No parking along the designated parade route on Commercial Street from Bradford Street to Franklin Street on Monday from 9:00am to 3 p.m. Illegally parked vehicles will be towed at the owners expense.
Additional detours, parking bans and other safety and traffic notices will be added as they are made available.