The Yarmouth Police Department offered a bulletin on Halloween safety tips this morning. Their information is useful to folks from any town and also includes some Yarmouth-specific information. Statement below, published verbatim.
The Town of Yarmouth is celebrating Halloween today and for safety reasons, recommended designated hours for "Trick or Treating" are from 3:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m.
The Yarmouth Police Department will have extra personnel on duty and is asking parents to cooperate by having their young children off the streets by 8:00 p.m.
The men and women of the Yarmouth Police Department wish everyone a Safe and Happy Halloween 2016!
Halloween Safety Tips:
• Wear light colored clothing that is short enough to prevent tripping, and add reflective tape. Make sure children can see well enough through face masks, or use makeup instead.
• Adults should accompany young children. Cross the street only at corners and never between parked vehicles. If there is not a sidewalk, walk facing traffic.
• Go out during daylight and carry a flashlight in case of delay.
• Stay within your own neighborhood and only visit homes you know. Tell your family which streets you will be on, and only go to houses that have their lights on.
• Only give and accept wrapped or packaged candy. Wait until you get home to sort, check and eat your treats. Examine all candy before allowing children to eat it.
• Keep costumed children away from pets. The pet may not recognize the child and bite.
• Avoid hard plastic or wooden props such as daggers or swords. Substitute with foam rubber which is soft and flexible.
• Remove lawn ornaments and leaf bags from the front of residences prior to Halloween.
• Park vehicles off the street or inside your garage.
• Turn on all exterior lights to discourage vandalism.
• If you will be out of town during Halloween, put your lights on timers and notify your neighbors that you will be away.
For further information please call the Office of the Chief of Police at 508-775-0445 extension 2115 or email [email protected]