Some words to the wise from MEMA:
Stay Safe After A Winter Storm
As you begin to clean-up this evening and tomorrow morning, here are some important tips to keep in mind:
• Help dig out fire hydrants in your neighborhood.
• Be careful when shoveling snow. Over-exertion can bring on a heart attack – a major cause of death in the winter. Take frequent breaks.
• Clear exhaust vents from Direct Vent Gas Furnace Systems to avoid Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning. Also, never run an automobile until the exhaust pipe has been cleared of snow.
• Call 2-1-1 for non-emergency storm-related questions.
• Be a good neighbor. Check with elderly or relatives and neighbors who may need additional assistance to ensure their safety.
More After A Winter Storm tips: www.mass.gov/mema/snow