Approximately one month ago, President Donald Trump signed an executive order that seeks to promote expanded domestic offshore drilling for oil and gas.
Is it worth considering? I believe, yes, it is.
Offshore energy production will dramatically reduce the cost of energy, create numerous new jobs, and make Massachusetts and our nation, more secure and much more energy independent.
According to the American Petroleum Institute, oil and natural gas development off our Atlantic coast between 2017 and 2035 would:
• Create nearly 280,000 new jobs along the East Coast.
• Result in an additional $195 billion in new private investment.
• Contribute up to $23.5 billion per year to the U.S. economy.
• Add 1.3 million barrels of oil equivalent per day to domestic energy production.
• Generate $51 billion in new revenue for the government.
In my opinion, yes, we really do need to take a serious look at this golden opportunity, for the sake of Cape Cod, for Massachusetts, and for America.
Barnstable County Commissioner