From the Dennis Historical Society:
Dennis HIstorical Society's Second Annual Apple Pie Baking Contest is Saturday, October 7, from 1 to 4 pm
Captain Baker’s House 1801 Jericho Historical Center & Barn Museum 90 Old Main Street, West Dennis
Join us at Captain Baker’s house for our 2nd annual contest. Bake your favorite apple pie. Will it be our judge’s favorite too? Enjoy the Jazz band “Leaving Campus” or tour the historic house and barn while the judges decide. No admission fee, donations appreciated.
Register by October 2nd! Entry forms and rules are available at: [email protected] or 508-237-6954. Last year there were 13 delicious, creative entries. Pies will be judged on: Taste of crust and filling, appearance, and overall appeal (creativity and balance of flavors). Prize Ribbons and Gift Certificates will be awarded to the top 3 winners. After judging, pies will be cut and served to the public.
Theophilus Baker, a sea captain, built the full-cape house with its slightly bowed roof in 1801. Occupied by the Baker family for 4 generations, it was purchased in 1955 by Elizabeth Reynard, educator and author. She named the house “Jericho” because its walls were falling down. She and Virginia Gildersleeve, also an educator, restored it. Jericho was deeded to the Town of Dennis in 1962 for use as an historical center. Today exhibits tell the story of farming life in 19th century Dennis, Massachusetts. The house contains furnishings, textiles, paintings and keepsakes. The Barn Museum is filled with farming tools and equipment. There is a salt works model with artifacts from original structures, and a cranberry exhibit which tells the 200-year-old story of cranberry cultivation and the industry which began in Dennis in 1816! Visitors will also see a general store and a carriage that once raced at Riverside Trotting Park. Hands on activities welcome children. The Captain Baker House is located at the 1801 Jericho Historical Center & Barn Museum, 90 Old Main Street, West Dennis. For more information call (508) 398-6736. The museum is located at the corner of Trotting Park Road and Old Main Street, where South Dennis and West Dennis meet!
Contact us at [email protected] or (508) 385-2232
Visit our website at www.dennishistoricalsociety.org or on facebook