Letter to the Editor:
I write regarding current federal plans for expanded domestic offshore drilling for oil and gas, including Cape Cod.
At this time, I propound my strong sentiments that the Trump Administration’s blueprint is well worth considering.
Offshore energy production will dramatically reduce the cost of energy, create numerous new jobs, and make Massachusetts and our nation more secure and much more energy-independent.
According to the American Petroleum Institute, oil and natural gas development off our Atlantic coast between now and 2035 would:
• Create nearly 280,000 new jobs along the East Coast.
• Result in an additional $195 billion in new private investment.
• Contribute up to $23.5 billion per year to the U.S. economy.
• Add 1.3 million barrels of oil equivalent per day to domestic energy production.
• Generate $51 billion in new revenue for the government.
Speaking as one individual County Commissioner, as well as a native Cape Codder, and proud American patriot, I say yes, we really do need to take a serious look at embracing this golden opportunity, for the sake of Cape Cod, for Massachusetts, and for America.
Barnstable County Board of Regional Commissioners