Militia from two Upper Cape towns repulse the Redcoats
On this day in 1779, a fleet of ten British vessels sailed over from Newport, RI to make a raid on Falmouth, MA.
After an overnight rendezvous off Naushon Island south of Woods Hole, the fleet, consisting of two schooners and eight sloops, attacked on the following morning (April 3rd) and maintained a cannonade of cannon-ball, double-headed shot, grape shot from eleven in the morning until dark.
Their landing party consisted of 220 men in ten small boats, which were repulsed successfully by about 50 of the Falmouth militia and another group of Sandwich militia who were dug in the shore near the Old Stone Dock (on the present Surf Drive) with Major Joseph Dimmock in charge of a determined body of defenders. [excerpted from Suckanesset: A History of Falmouth Massachusetts, 1992 Falmouth Historical Society.]
A more thorough description was written in 2003 here.
Fire Departments from all area towns fought the blaze
A fire that began at the SEMASS Resource Recovery Facility on March 31 burned for two days until it was finally extinguished on this day. The fire, which started following an explosion, caused extensive damage to the plant.
Firefighters from all over the region were brought in to battle the blaze.
The SEMASS plant, owned and operated by Covanta SEMASS LP, is located in West Wareham, MA. The plant is a shred and burn facility.
Read about the explosion and fire in the Standard-Times.
The photo below is from the Falmouth Fire Department.