Alert to Pet Owners from Animal Hospital of Orleans

Artificial sweetener in some nut butters can harm your pet...

Pet owners please heed this bulletin from our friends at Animal Hospital of Orleans...

A new type of peanut butter (and other nut butters) is being sold with less sugar, but now includes xylitol as a sweetener.

Xylitol is used as a sweetener in many products, including gum, candy, baked goods and toothpaste. It can cause insulin release in most species, which can lead to liver failure. The increase in insulin leads to hypoglycemia (lowered sugar levels). Initial signs of toxicosis include vomiting, lethargy and loss of coordination. Signs can progress to seizures. Elevated liver enzymes and liver failure can be seen within a few days.

Many people use peanut butter as a dog treat, or to fill a Kong, or disguise medications.  If they use the type with xyliotol, it could endanger your pet.


CapeCodToday.com welcomes thoughtful comments and the varied opinions of our readers. We are in no way obligated to post or allow comments that our moderators deem inappropriate. We reserve the right to delete comments we perceive as profane, vulgar, threatening, offensive, racially-biased, homophobic, slanderous, hateful or just plain rude. Commenters may not attack or insult other commenters, readers or writers. Commenters who persist in posting inappropriate comments will be banned from commenting on CapeCodToday.com.