A Busy Monday for Wareham Police

Resisting arrest, knives and more...
Ralph Hunter, age 33, of Everett faces charges of OUI, resisting arrest and more (WPD booking photo)

From Wareham Police:

On Monday, July 9 from 5:00 pm to 6:00 pm, Wareham Police officers responded to 13 calls for service, two involving knives and one a serious motor vehicle accident. At about 5:50 pm Officer Calib Larue responded to an address for a report of a suicidal person. Officer Larue was the only officer available as all cruisers were tied up on other calls. Upon arrival he found an individual armed with a knife to their throat threatening suicide. Marion Police Sgt. Jeffrey Tripp and Officer Anthony Dicarlo responded to assist. After a tense standoff, Officer Larue was able to talk the person into dropping the knife. Minutes later, officers were dispatched to another suicidal person that had fled into the woods, also armed with a knife. Sgt. Herbert Noble and Officer Matthew Donovan cleared the calls they were on to respond to this high priority call. After a short search the subject was located and was cooperative with officers. Both individuals were taken to Tobey Hospital for evaluation. Within one minute of this call, at 5:58 pm officers were now responding to a serious accident in the area of 271 Plymouth Avenue.


            At the Plymouth Avenue call Officer Nate Aronson arrived to find two vehicles involved with one overturned in the street, and injuries. Also arriving at the scene were Special officers Justin Silveira, Craig Oliveira, and DNR officer Josh Kimball.  After investigation it was determined that a vehicle driven by Ralph Hunter, 33, of Everett had lost control after going off the side of the road, striking a stump, and then striking another vehicle before rolling over. During the course of the investigation it was determined that Mr. Hunter was operating under the influence of liquor, and he became very unruly at the scene, waving his arms, yelling, and causing a spectacle. Mr. Hunter resisted arrest and three officers were needed to handcuff him. He is being charged with, operating under the influence of liquor, negligent operation of a motor vehicle, speeding, failure to wear a seat belt, disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace, and resisting arrest. During the transport to the police headquarters Mr. Hunter slipped the handcuffs from behind his back to his front. At the station he needed to be escorted in by Sgt. Noble and Officer Blaise Lallie, due to his belligerent and combative attitude. He is due in court for Tuesday, July 10, for arraignment. One person was transported from the accident to Tobey Hospital with apparent minor injuries.


            Acting Police Chief John Walcek praised the leadership of Sgt. Noble in managing these incidents and further praised the officers responding, saying, “Wareham police officers routinely handle stressful and dangerous incidents without notice, dealing with them with professionalism and bravery.”


            These calls represent only a fraction of the 162 calls for service that were answered during the 24 period on Monday, July 9.

CapeCodToday.com welcomes thoughtful comments and the varied opinions of our readers. We are in no way obligated to post or allow comments that our moderators deem inappropriate. We reserve the right to delete comments we perceive as profane, vulgar, threatening, offensive, racially-biased, homophobic, slanderous, hateful or just plain rude. Commenters may not attack or insult other commenters, readers or writers. Commenters who persist in posting inappropriate comments will be banned from commenting on CapeCodToday.com.