Honored by New England Association of Police Chiefs...
Left to Right - Yarmouth Chief Frank Frederickson, Dennis Sergeant Ken Gelnett, Dennis Deputy Chief Jim Sullivan, Dennis Officer Liz Tucker, Dennis Officer Ryan Carr and Dennis Chief Peter DiMatteo (DPD photo)
From the Dennis Police Department:
The Dennis Police Department was notified that it would be the recipient of a 2017 New England Association of Chiefs of Police - Community Policing Award for a Community under 15,000.
Last night at the Dennis Board of Selectmen’s meeting Yarmouth Police Chief Frank Frederickson presented the Community Policing Award to Dennis Police Chief Peter DiMatteo and members of the Dennis Police Department.
The Dennis Police Department was chosen because of their commitment to community policing which is shown in their everyday work in the community.
Chief DiMatteo credited the award for all the hard work that the members of the department, sworn and civilian do on a daily basis.
Chief DiMatteo also thanked the residents of Dennis, Board of Selectmen and Finance Committee for their continued support of the Dennis Police Department and Community Services Unit, which allows the department to continue to offer these services, programs and initiatives to the community.
Some of the services, programs and initiatives offered by the Department are:
- -Dennis Police Crime Watch Programs
- -Citizens Police Academy and Senior Citizens Police Academy
- -Community Outreach Programs with Bay Cove Human Services and Gosnold for those suffering with mental health or alcohol/substance use disorders
- -Outreach work with Elders and Veterans in town
- -Work with the Community Crisis Intervention Team
- -Civilian Victim Services Coordinator outreach/resources
- -Active social media accounts on Facebook and Twitter for Community Notifications
- -CodeRED Automated Community Alert
- -Active Assailant training to businesses and other town departments
- -Tours of Dennis PD with community groups, Boys and Girl Scouts, etc.
- -Police Sponsored blood drives (Battle of the Badges)
- -Officers - active presence in schools
- -Hockey games with Police/Recreation Department-kids (Ice and Street Hockey)
- -Prescription Drug Turn-In Events and Kiosk
- -Annual National Night Out Against Crime
- -Senior Driver Programs in conjunction with AAA
- -School Resource Officer Program
- -Law Enforcement Torch Run for Massachusetts Special Olympics
- -Mock Impaired Driving Crash at Dennis-Yarmouth Regional High School
- -Car Seat Install Events and Seat Belt Pledge Drives