Cape Wildlife Center Operates on Gull that Swallowed Fish Hook

Bird was entangled in fishing line, hook was in its throat...
This Herring Gull was fortunate that a concerned citizen called Cape Wildlife Center to assist. (CWC photo)

From the wonderful people at Cape Wildlife Center:

This Herring Gull was found behind a restaurant in Hyannis last week entangled in fishing-line and unable to fly. Our Vet team worked him up, and quickly realized that the line that had ensnared his legs was also in his throat. x-rays revealed that he had swallowed a sizable fishing hook, which was lodged in his GI tract. The tips of his toes had also become necrotic as a result of the constriction from the line.

He underwent surgery today to remove the hook and to remove the dead tissue from his toes. We are happy to report that that the surgery was a success!!! This is a friendly reminder to take your trash and fishing gear with you, it makes all the difference to our wild neighbors!

To make a donation towards his care, and to the care of all of our other patients please visit capewildlifecenter.com! We can not do this work without you!


CapeCodToday.com welcomes thoughtful comments and the varied opinions of our readers. We are in no way obligated to post or allow comments that our moderators deem inappropriate. We reserve the right to delete comments we perceive as profane, vulgar, threatening, offensive, racially-biased, homophobic, slanderous, hateful or just plain rude. Commenters may not attack or insult other commenters, readers or writers. Commenters who persist in posting inappropriate comments will be banned from commenting on CapeCodToday.com.