A lifetime membership cost $1.
On this day in 1948, the Cape Cod Beach Plum Growers' Association was officially formed when 50 beach plum fans gathered at Brewster Town Hall to draw up a constitution and elect officers.
Members voted on a life membership fee of $1 and agreed on the topics of greatest interest to them - "pruning, spraying and otherwise caring for existing bushes; learning improved methods; studying modern methods of propagation and planting; and seeking the best methods of protections and planting; and seeking the best methods of protection from inferior and adulterated beach plum jellies and jams," according to "The Beach Plum: A History and Grower's Guide" published by Cape Cod Cooperative Extension.
It took two days to move it 336 feet from the cliff's edge
On this day in 1996, workers completed an arduous, two-day move of Nauset Light 336 feet away from an eroding bluff at Nauset Beach. The 48-foot tall brick and cast iron structure, also known as Nauset Beach Light, was built in 1877 in Chatham and moved to Eastham in 1923 to replace a trio of wooden lighthouses known as the "Three Sisters of Nauset" shown on right where they are on display nearby.
By the early 1990s, Nauset Light stood less than 25 feet from the edge of its bluff due to coastal erosion. Local residents formed the Nauset Light Preservation Society to move the lighthouse inland.
Once owned by the Coast Guard, Nauset Light passed into private hands in 1955. Author Mary Daubenspeck donated the tower and grounds to the National Park Service in the late 1990s. The park service leases the tower and grounds to the Nauset Light Preservation Society, whose members maintain them.
The Coast Guard had no plans for saving the lighthouse. Modern instruments have ended the traditional need for lighthouses, however, they are still used by the fishing fleets and small recreational boaters who navigate close to the shore. Nauset Light is an important part of Eastham's cultural and maritime history, and is the most well known and photographed lighthouse on Cape Cod.
A group of citizens in Eastham formed the Nauset Light Preservation Society, a non-profit volunteer organization whose original mission was to rescue the lighthouse. This was accomplished in November 1996. The mission now is the preservation and restoration of the lighthouse and oil house.
This week in 2001, the Steamship Authority board unanimously approves high-speed ferry service between New Bedford and Martha's Vineyard in an effort to reduce traffic and parking congestion in Woods Hole. A similar proposal was rejected a month earlier when Falmouth's representative to the board voted against a three-year pilot plan.
The proposal approved on Nov. 15, 2001 was for a two-year pilot plan to start the following June.
The present day ferry is on the right, and the schedule is here.
Read about "Everything Else Which Happened Today" including in 1798 Snow storms in New England, hundreds die here.