Barnstable, MA – AmeriCorps Cape Cod is hosting its annual Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service on Monday, January 21st from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM at the Dennis Yarmouth Regional High School cafeteria located at 210 Station Avenue in South Yarmouth, MA.
This year’s day of service is for anyone looking for an opportunity to impact local non-profit organizations with a hands-on project.
1) Harwich Family Pantry | Cleaning and organizing display shelves
2) Yarmouth Food Pantry | Cleaning and organizing display shelves
3) Dennis Community Blueberry Patch | Pruning blueberry bushes
4) Meeting House Farm | Sanding and painting greenhouse stools
5) Creating trash bags from old t-shirts to be used at future “Canal Clean Up” event.
Andrew Platt, Program Coordinator for AmeriCorps Cape Cod says, “MLK Day of Service is our opportunity to invoke MLK’s spirit of service by providing the people of Barnstable County the opportunity to give back to their communities. Every year, rather than taking the day off work at home, hundreds of our neighbors step up on MLK Day to make it a day on, not a day off.”
This event starts at Dennis-Yarmouth Regional High School where AmeriCorps will provide a light breakfast and a short reflection on MLK. Afterwards, Projects 4-5 will take place in the cafeteria. Volunteers assigned to projects 1-3 will disperse to their sites and can return home once the site project is finished. Volunteers should have their own source of transportation.
RSVP by filling out the google form found on AmeriCorpsCapeCod.org or the Facebook page for AmeriCorps Cape Cod.