What is open and what is closed...
Another successful First Night Chatham. Photo by Pat Brooks.
Although many folks have the day off, some to nurse their hangovers, others to get going on those resolutions, there are still several offices and institutions closed today.
What is open on New Year's Day
- Gas stations
- Liquor stores
- Convenience stores
- Retail stores (although some may be closed at the owner's discretion)
- Restaurants and bars
- Movie theaters and other local attractions (call first to confirm hours)
What's closed on New Year's Day
- Libraries: all local libraries are closed on Wednesday. Most return to their regular hours come Thursday, but be sure to check your library's website before you head to the stacks.
- Post offices: no delivery on New Year's Day
- Federal, state and local offices: all municipal offices are closed. Town transfer stations are also closed.
If you are looking for some outdoor fun, there are lots of activities planned and open nature paths.