April 11 - 1914: Commodore Arthur James sails the Aloha off to Cape Cod

1984: Six-foot long white-sided dolphin, stranded in Provincetown is released
The Aloha, a 659-gross-ton bark-rigged steam yacht.

1914: Aloha takes a trial spin: Commodore Arthur James sails off to Cape Cod

The Aloha (American Steam Yacht, 1910) served as the USS Aloha (SP-317) 1917-1919

On this Day in 1914 the Aloha, a 659-gross-ton bark-rigged steam yacht with Commodore James at its helm, which was built in 1910 at Quincy, Massachusetts took it's first spin and ended up down on Cape Cod as the small item in the New York Times of that date reports on the right below.

The Aloha is shown above on the right as a United States Navel vessel remained the SP-317 at the Brooklyn Navy Yard in 1917.

She cruised extensively in northern European and Mediterranean waters until the outbreak of World War I in August 1914 put an end to such pleasurable activities.

When the United States entered the conflict in April 1917 she was leased to the U.S. Navy, which placed her in commission as USS Aloha (SP-317).

She served for the rest of the war as flagship to the Inspector of Naval Districts, East Coast, Rear Admiral Cameron Winslow, supporting his extensive travels as he carried out his mission of ensuring the effectiveness of the Navy's shore facilities from Louisiana to New England.

USS Aloha was decommissioned in late January 1919 and returned to her owner. She voyaged around the World in 1921-1922 and visited Europe and the Mediterranean several times during 1925-1930. Following nearly three decades of peacetime pleasure cruising and wartime inspection duty, Aloha was scrapped in 1938.

1984: Stranded dolphin released back into ocean

First successful return of a stranded dolphin to its natural habitat

On this day in 1984, a six-foot long white-sided dolphin was released back home into the ocean five months after it was stranded and rescued from a beach in Provincetown. The illustration on the right shows its size compared to and average human. Courtesy of Wikipedia.

The 225-pound dolphin was nicknamed "Harvey Wallbanger" by staffers at the Mystic Marinelife Aquarium in Stonington, Ct., after breaking its jaw by slamming into the side of a tank on its second day of captivity.

Scientists at the aquarium were initially pessimistic about the 5-year-old mammal's prospects for survival, but the dolphin proved tenacious and slowly regained its health.

The dolphin was released into a pod of white-sided dolphins off the eastern tip of Long Island about 10 miles off Montauk Point, N.Y.

"The pod -- with at least a dozen other white-sided dolphins -- seemed to all move toward the newcomer," the Associated Press reported. "A small cheer went up from the party" of aquarium staffers and scientists.

An aquarium spokeswoman told the AP that it was "the first successful return by an aquarium of a stranded dolphin to its natural habitat."

CapeCodToday.com welcomes thoughtful comments and the varied opinions of our readers. We are in no way obligated to post or allow comments that our moderators deem inappropriate. We reserve the right to delete comments we perceive as profane, vulgar, threatening, offensive, racially-biased, homophobic, slanderous, hateful or just plain rude. Commenters may not attack or insult other commenters, readers or writers. Commenters who persist in posting inappropriate comments will be banned from commenting on CapeCodToday.com.