Op Ed - MassWildlife Meetings Regarding Coyotes

Concerned citizens can make their voices heard...
(Photo courtesy of Friends of Cape Wildlife)

Op-Ed by Jan Raffaele of the Friends of Cape Wildlife:

In 2017 Powderhorn Outfitters, a Hyannis gun shop, launched its first annual coyote killing contest on Cape Cod, to award prizes for the heaviest and the largest coyote killed by men, women, and youth. The second annual killing contest ended on March 10. A similar event has been held for 8 years by the Fairview Sportsmen’s Club in Granby, MA. Unlimited numbers of coyotes can be killed.

On April 4 the Massachusetts Division of Fisheries & Wildlife (MassWildlife) had its first public listening session on coyote killing contests. Held at the Cape Cod Community College, the  standing room only crowd heard MassWildlife’s justification for allowing coyotes to be killed for pleasure and recreation: "coyotes are a renewable resource". 

An op-ed by Powderhorn Outfitters compared coyote killing contests to “the state’s annual Governors Cup fishing derby, a baseball game, or even Girl Scouts selling their cookies.”

Concerned citizens that find these justifications for the senseless killing of coyotes outrageous, can make their voice heard by the following ways:

  1. Write to the Massachusetts Division of Fisheries & Wildlife, 1 Rabbit Hill Road, Westborough, MA 01581 and Governor Charlie Baker, 24 Beacon St., Boston, MA 02133.
  2. Attend the Listening Session on May 9 at the Mohawk Regional High School, 26 Ashfield Road in Shelburne Falls from 6-8 PM.
  3. Attend the Listening Session on June 18 at the Massachusetts Maritime Academy, Admirals Hall (Harrington Building), 101 Academy Drive, Buzzards Bay. The session starts at 6 PM.

For more information about wildlife killing contests and, specifically, the behavior and biology of coyotes, please go to http://www.projectcoyote.org/.

Less than 1% of Massachusetts residents consumptively use (hunt and trap) wildlife. The other 99% are not served by MassWildlife’s mandate to protect and manage wildlife as a public resource on behalf of all citizens. It is doubtless that a majority of residents would endorse cruel, outdated and unsporting methods to kill wildlife.

Thank you for caring and taking action.


CapeCodToday.com welcomes thoughtful comments and the varied opinions of our readers. We are in no way obligated to post or allow comments that our moderators deem inappropriate. We reserve the right to delete comments we perceive as profane, vulgar, threatening, offensive, racially-biased, homophobic, slanderous, hateful or just plain rude. Commenters may not attack or insult other commenters, readers or writers. Commenters who persist in posting inappropriate comments will be banned from commenting on CapeCodToday.com.