Careless Disposal of Smoking Materials Leads to Devastating House Fire

Yarmouth Fire reports no injuries...
The scene at 15 Marion Road, West Yarmouth, following a Tuesday afternoon fire. (YFD photo)

From the Yarmouth Fire Department:

At approximately 1:15pm yesterday [Tuesday] afternoon Yarmouth Fire Department received a call for a house on fire at 15 Marion Rd, West Yarmouth. Multiple Engines responded including mutual aid from Barnstable Fire Department. A Working Fire Assignment was called by Chief Simonian due to initial reports of heavy smoke pushing from the structure. The Working Fire Assignment notifies Barnstable County Control to backfill Yarmouth’s three fire stations to protect and serve the rest of the town while many resources are fighting the fire. 

Crews on location identified the fire to be in the attic but due to access had a difficult time reaching the fire. Fire hoses were taken inside and around the rear of the home to fight this fire. The fire was extinguished in about 20 minutes but due to access there was extensive overhaul. Large areas of the living room and dining room ceiling were removed to check for fire extension. 

All occupants were out of the home upon our arrival. No injuries reported to civilians of fire personnel.

Investigation determined that this fire was unintentional careless disposal of smoking materials.


CapeCodToday.com welcomes thoughtful comments and the varied opinions of our readers. We are in no way obligated to post or allow comments that our moderators deem inappropriate. We reserve the right to delete comments we perceive as profane, vulgar, threatening, offensive, racially-biased, homophobic, slanderous, hateful or just plain rude. Commenters may not attack or insult other commenters, readers or writers. Commenters who persist in posting inappropriate comments will be banned from commenting on CapeCodToday.com.