From the Dennis Police Department:
SUBJECT: Excessive Heat and Humidity Today through Sunday
• The National Weather Service (NWS) is forecasting excessive heat and humidity to begin this afternoon, peaking Saturday and Sunday afternoons. Daytime highs are forecast to be in the 90’s here on Cape Cod through Sunday, with dew points in the low to mid 70s. Little cooling is expected to take place in the overnight hours, with lows in most areas only dropping to the mid 70s to near 80.
• Heat index values could reach between 96 and 102 degrees across Cape Cod and Martha's Vineyard on Saturday and Sunday. This level of heat and humidity is dangerous and relatively rare for this part of the country.
Preparedness and Safety Information
• Never leave children or pets alone in a closed vehicle for any period of time. Even with the windows cracked open, interior temperatures can rise almost 20°F within 10 minutes.
• Know the symptoms of and watch out for heat-related illnesses. Call 9-1-1 to report emergencies.
• Be a good neighbor. Check on family, friends, and neighbors, especially the elderly, those who live alone, those with medical conditions, those who may need additional assistance, and those who may not have air conditioning.
• If you are in need of a temporary cooling station call the Dennis Police Department at 508-394-1315.
• For more heat safety tips, visit: www.mass.gov/mema/heat