Fire Marshal - Improper Disposal of Smoking Materials Caused Mashpee Fire

August 2nd fire caused about $100,000 in damage...
Mashpee Permanent Firefighters Local 2519 photo

From the Office of State Fire Marshal Peter J. Ostroskey:

Mashpee Fire Chief Thomas C. Rullo and State Fire Marshal Peter J. Ostroskey said the cause of the August 2, 2019 fire at 69 Trout Brook Road in Mashpee was the improper disposal of smoking materials. The 11:45 p.m. fire caused an estimated $100,000 in damages. The fire started on the outside deck.

The Mashpee Fire Department, the Mashpee Police Department, and State Police assigned to the Office of the State Fire Marshal jointly investigated this fire.

Chief Rullo said, “Fortunately, no one was injured but exterior smoking fires can burn undetected by occupants or interior smoke alarms for a long time. They can get a strong hold of a building before the fire department is called, doing more damage.”

State Fire Marshal Ostroskey said, “As we move smokers outside for health reasons, we have seen the number of smoking fires that start on patios, porches and decks increase. It’s important to put out all smoking materials in a can of sand. All the way. Every time.” The Department of Fire Services has created new public service announcements in English and Spanish on this topic. They can be viewed at:

www.youtube.com/DFSOSFM or https://www.mass.gov/service-details/smoking-fire-safety.


CapeCodToday.com welcomes thoughtful comments and the varied opinions of our readers. We are in no way obligated to post or allow comments that our moderators deem inappropriate. We reserve the right to delete comments we perceive as profane, vulgar, threatening, offensive, racially-biased, homophobic, slanderous, hateful or just plain rude. Commenters may not attack or insult other commenters, readers or writers. Commenters who persist in posting inappropriate comments will be banned from commenting on CapeCodToday.com.