With new television episodes finally supplanting the reality t.v. overload with the Hollywood writers back to work, I asked the "Late Night" writers to take a minute to share some chuckles with us on the recent political scene in Falmouth. With great thanks to those hard-working scribes, here are
Late Night Falmouth's Top Ten Quotes for 2008 (so far)
10. "We have to get all the information so we can make our decisions educatedly." - Selectmen Chairman Kevin Murphy on DPW requests at Town Meeting.
9. "I am not Jesus Christ." - Town Engineer George Calise on the status of the bid opening for the Shining Sea Bikeway extension. (George later walked across Shiverick's Pond after leaving the meeting.)
8. "You wanted the title of Manager, now manage!" - Local gadfly Dan Shearer on the Selectmen assuming a greater role in the High School construction.
7. "Mr. DeWitt didn't get $250 an hour because if he did, he'd still be here." - Town Counsel Frank Duffy on the cost of a non-employee associate counsel.
6. "Don't do it, sir. Mr. Latimer did it to me once." - Town Moderator David Vieira to a speaker at Town Meeting on the inadvisibility of looking into a laser pointer.
5. "It takes its time to do things and it doesn't set artificial deadlines to meet someone's profit standards." - Town Planner Brian Currie defending his board and their pace of deliberation on a rezoning article at Town Meeting.
4. "When your water rates go up, thank your neighbor." - DPW Director Ray Jack on a lack of funding to detect pumped but unmetered (and unbilled) water usage.
3. "I'm not frustrated like Ray Jack." - Fire Chief Paul Brodeur on his relatively uneventful journey to Town Meeting for capital funding.
2. "If the money's not spent, it will not be spent. " - Selectman Kevin Murphy on, well, spending for the High School.
And the #1 quote thus far.....
"People come to Falmouth for boating, beaches, and some for golf if they don't know any better." - Dan Shearer speaking about his petition article to keep the beaches open.