Some old and some new things I'd like to do and see in Falmouth this Summer...
- I'd like to see what all the buzz (or hum) is about with these cicadas (or is it cicadae?). When they come around again, I'll be 56 and far less adventurous. So while they are abundant and an easy find, I'm going to enjoy a few with some chocolate sauce. I'll let you know how it turns (stomach included) out.
- I'd like to see Commodores Skipper Jeff Trundy vie for another West Division title, then battle for the Cape League Championship. This unassuming Mainer is entering his 10th season steering the local ship of a franchise, and has become as much a part of the Commodores as the Arnie Allen Diamond. He can channel Earl Weaver when necessary, but typically has a steady-as-she goes style that has produced a steady stream of contending teams.
- I'd like to see a genuine pickup game of baseball at a local field. Kids will shed their IPods, cell phones, Wiis, 360s, and guitar heroes, and hit the streets for hours of summertime fun. Was that 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. McFly?
- I'd like to have a different flavor of ice cream from a different local shop each night for a week. Here's my plan:
* Sunday - Oreo (by far the best around) at Smitty's
* Monday - Chocolate Chip (they're like mini candy bars!) at Ben & Bills
* Tuesday - Mint Chip (the best homemade) at Ghelfi's
* Wednesday - Vanilla with cherry dip at Dairy Queen (no summer is complete without this flavor staple)
* Thursday - Vanilla soft serve with resee's cups at Spiral Cone (the possibilities are limitless, I just went with a reliable old friend)
* Friday - Banana at Somerset - This over the border in Bourne is worth the trek - and treat!
* Saturday - Vanilla (finish off with tradition) at Whistle Stop
I could probably stretch this out for a few weeks, but this is a noble effort to start.
- I'd like to walk the new bikepath with the tracks taken up before the construction and enjoy the natural beauty of this local jewel before the crowds descend.
- I'd like to catch a bass.
- I'd like to get to Old Silver early and thank the crews that clean up the beach and rake the sand every day before most of us wake up, making this the hands-down best beach around.
- I'd like to spend an afternoon (or two) just getting lost in the vast expanse of the new public library.
- I'd like to get under 10 minutes in the Main Street Mile.
- I'd like to catch a show at Highfield - or star in one!
- I'd like to take some suggestions - got any?