Flock of Comments - Part 7

Words. They're what we use to communicate.

Letters. They're what we use to create words.

Cordials. They're what we sip after a long day at the office.

In my mind's eye, I see words as if they are molecules, and I see letters as atoms. So, for instance, the word "HELLO" is made up of one part "H," one part "E," one part "O," and two parts "L."

We can then put "HELLO" into a word accelerator, which is used to collide the word (traveling at the speed of light) with another word, say "GOODBYE," also traveling at the speed of light, thus breaking the two words into pieces and creating an entirely new phrase, such as "HELL EGO BODY," with one part "O" left over, which we can then add to our cordial to give it an added kick! Mmmmm!

Okay, this blog is going nowhere. No worries, we simply change gears and do what I've been doing for the past couple of years when a blog idea implodes ... I simply post a collection of my comments over the past few months. I like to call them "Flock of Comments." And this Flock is my 7th installment.

So, add a little "O" to your drink and read along...if you want to...no pressure...just a suggestion...I mean, it is a free country after all...you can do whatever you want...within reason, that is...

In response to: The Midnight Ride of Abel Prescott

11/11/08  8:30 am

Poetry, for example. How does poetry fit into this fast-paced 21st century world we have created? For instance, instead of cursing the oaks and maples for the leaves we rake this November, we should be reciting our Joyce Kilmer:

"I think that I shall never see,

A poem as lovely as a tree,

Poems are made by fools like me,

But only God can make a tree."

Perhaps only God can make a tree, but only this one particular little bakery in the North End can make a cannoli just the way my grandmother used to make them!

In response to: 4' 33" Revisited

11/18/08  11:06 am

This week, Paul McCartney announced that he hoped to release a 14-minute piece of avant-garde "music" recorded by the Beatles back in 1967 entitled "Carnival of Light." Apparently, to release it, he needs to secure the approvals of Ringo and the widows of John and George, which may be tricky as it was reported that George Harrison was not in favor of its release. The piece was experimental, and was greatly influenced by the works of avant-garde musician John Cage, the subject of my June 2007 blog (who composed the piece 4' 33"). Just an FYI update to anyone even remotely interested.

In response to: Confessions of a 110-Year Old Pilgrim

11/27/08  6:03 am

I understand (historians) dug up a grave, thinking it was Miles Standish's. Instead, it turned out to be the grave of the bagel shop owner I mention in my blog. They could tell it was his grave because he was buried with a half dozen containers of cream cheese.

In response to: Confessions of a 110-Year Old Pilgrim

11/27/08  6:19 am

History shows that the last living Mayflower Pilgrim was Mary Allerton Cushman, who was born somewhere around 1615/1616/1617 and died on November 28, 1699 in her mid-80's.

In response to: Confessions of a 110-Year Old Pilgrim

11/27/08  10:22 pm

Speaking of 110-year old women (I believe they're called supercentenarians), I just learned that the oldest person in the world died yesterday at the age of 115 years! I once knew a 104-year old woman at a nursing home where I worked nearly 30 years ago who used to tell me about her father who fought in the Civil War!

PS: The oldest person ever was a woman who lived to 122 years! Of course, in the Bible, Noah was said to have lived to something like 900 years, but that was because he ate manna from heaven!

In response to: Words of Winter

01/12/09  9:43 pm

It looks like we're getting some good, old fashioned, Charlie Brown snow flurries out there this morning, conjuring up the melodies of Vince Guaraldi, and reminding us of the wisdom of Linus who points out that he never eats December snowflakes, waiting instead until January when they're "ripe."

In response to: Wisps of Smoke

02/13/09  8:08 am

McSheey (Thomas J. McSheey, 20th century lunatic poet), as some of you may have read in my earlier blogs, choked to death in 1935 on a piece of dark chocolate. Because of this, McSheey followers and fanatics refuse to give chocolates as gifts on Valentine's Day. In fact, they refuse to give flowers, too, probably because McSheey was a pagan and disapproved of disturbing nature in any form. And, they refuse to dine out at expensive restaurants because McSheey lived a simple life and to spend money on such extravagances would go against McSheey's philosophy of living within one's means. As such, McSheey followers are rather lonely on Valentine's Day, prompting them to get together to play Dungeons & Dragons, and to sit around and discuss the existence of UFOs and the Loch Ness Monster, and to debate the origins of a closed or open universe, and to listen to Styx and ELO albums for secret imbedded messages ... not that I did any of these things on the Valentine's Days of my youth during the 1970's!

In response to: Closing the Book

02/26/09  7:58 am

I must admit, McSheey and I have a lot in common. Besides sharing the names of "Thomas" and "John" - I was named for saints Thomas and John while McSheey was named for Thomas Miggs and John Cromwell (17th century "warlocks" who dabbled in pagan rituals) - we also share confusion over the arrangement of the alphabet. McSheey felt that instead of it being N,O,P,Q,R,S it should be N,O,P,R,Q,S. On the other hand, I have always felt that a 27th letter should be added between L and M, something that perhaps looks like #.

We also both share a sense of confusion over what the hell this life is all about. McSheey felt we were put here completely by accident, the product of random evolution. I, on the other hand, believe we were put here simply to pay our fair share of income tax. We also both share a deep love for dark chocolate, which of course ultimately led to McSheey's untimely death.

Which makes me ponder ... Isn't any death "untimely"?

Jack Sheedy

CapeCodToday.com welcomes thoughtful comments and the varied opinions of our readers. We are in no way obligated to post or allow comments that our moderators deem inappropriate. We reserve the right to delete comments we perceive as profane, vulgar, threatening, offensive, racially-biased, homophobic, slanderous, hateful or just plain rude. Commenters may not attack or insult other commenters, readers or writers. Commenters who persist in posting inappropriate comments will be banned from commenting on CapeCodToday.com.