Barnstable County Regional Emergency Planning Committee
Media Release 04 – Storm Skylar
March 14, 2018
For Immediate Release
Barnstable County Shelters to Remain in Operation
BARNSTABLE (MA) March 14, 2018 – At its 4 p.m. conference call, the Barnstable County Regional Emergency Planning Committee reviewed the progress of power restoration on Cape Cod and the plans for the regional shelter system.
Given the slow pace of power restoration, the BCREPC determined that the following emergency shelters will remain open until further notice.
Sandwich High School
365 Quaker Meetinghouse Road, Sandwich
Barnstable Intermediate School
895 Falmouth Road, Hyannis
Cape Cod Regional Technical School
351 Pleasant Lake Avenue, Harwich
Regional Shelter Information:
- Arrive with at least three days worth of essentials including your medication.
- The shelter provides a secure facility, a cot to sleep on, basic food and water, basic first aid, and functional assistance. Beyond that, it is up to you to pack and bring the essentials of your life including extra clothing, medications, and any medical equipment such as walkers, wheelchairs, and oxygen concentrators. Anyone with special dietary requirements should bring their own food.
- If you live at home with the assistance of a caretaker, the caretaker must come to the shelter with you. If you have a visiting nurse, make sure you bring your medical supplies and let your nurse know which shelter you will be staying at.
- If you are bringing infants, babies, or toddlers to a shelter make sure you bring formula, food, diapers, wipes, changes of clothing, toys, and a “pack ‘n play” or portable crib and bedding.
- If you have a pet, the emergency shelter system supports the care of your pet(s) while you are in the shelter. You must check your pet(s) in first at the pet shelter before checking yourself into the human shelter. Please bring all your pet supplies to the shelter except for crates, which are provided by the shelter.
If you need transportation to a Regional Shelter, contact your local police or fire department on the NON-EMERGENCY line.
The Barnstable County Multi-Agency Coordination Center will remain in operation until further notice.
For information on the location of Regional Emergency Shelters visit www.bcrepc.org/sheltering/shelter-map/