Cape & Islands State Senator Julian Cyr
Cape & Islands State Senator Julian Cyr has posted the following job opening:
Job Opening - Legislative Aide
The Legislative Aide is expected to coordinate and execute constituent services for the office, assist the Legislative Director with legislative projects, tasks, and policy development, and assist the Chief of Staff with office operations functions. Other major functions include stakeholder engagement, monitoring district issues, staffing the Senator, and drafting various types of internal and external correspondence.
Position title: Legislative Aide
Time: Full time, 37.5 hours per week
Start Date: August/September 2019
Position based in: Boston, MA
- Manage and oversee constituent services casework for the office
- Work with agency liaisons on behalf of constituents
- Assign interns with constituent services work and projects.
- Work with the district director to plan and execute scheduled in-district office hours.
- Prepare Senate citations for constituents.
Legislative and Committee work:
- Under the supervision of the Legislative Director:
- Draft legislative testimony for the Senator
- Track requests for bill and amendment co-sponsorships
- Attend and help staff committee hearings and legislative briefings
- Research policy as assigned
- Manage all incoming constituent correspondence – calls, email management, and snail mail.
- Manage constituent services written correspondence – with assistance from colleagues.
- Build and maintain a database of key contacts for our office.
- Assist in scheduling for the Senator
- Periodic staffing and meetings in district. Represents the Senator at events and meetings.
- Works a flexible schedule including nights and weekends.
- Monitor local press and assist with social media.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of the Massachusetts Legislature, policy, and legislative process
- Ability to work independently to solve problems and complete projects.
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure in a demanding and fast-paced environment.
- Willingness and ability to work some evening and weekend hours, especially during busy periods of the legislative year.
Education and Experience:
- Any combination of education and experience that indicates strong writing and customer service focused skills.
- Knowledge of or professional experience with the Cape and Islands District that demonstrates an understanding of the region’s priorities and key issues, preferred.
- 1-3 years of relevant work experience
- Bachelor’s degree
Applicants should submit a resume, professional writing sample, one-page cover letter, and 3 references to Chief of Staff Patrick Johnson: [email protected]
Application deadline is Friday, August 9th at 5pm. No calls, please. Position to start ASAP in August/September 2019.
The Office of State Senator Julian Cyr is committed to providing equal access to job opportunities for all and, as such, employment decisions in our office are made without regard to gender, race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, pregnancy, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, military status, veteran status, or genetic information. Senator Cyr and his staff are committed to creating a work environment free from discrimination.