Smoke causes school evacuation; Pipe attack in Hyannis; Dangerous drugs stolen from Bourne vet; Elderly couple injured in Harwich crash; SUV vs. parked car in South Dennis

P-town firefighters rush to condo fire
PROVINCETOWN - Provincetown firefighters responded to a structure fire at the Angels Landing Condos at 353 Commercial St.  shortly before 10:30 p.m. Wednesday. They were relieved to find a small fire on a second-floor deck that was quicky put out. Structures on the block are packed tightly and any blaze could quickly spread. The cause of the fire remains uncertain.

Sturgis school evacuated due to small fire

     Students and staffers were forced to evacuate the Sturgis Charter School on Main Street in Hyannis after smoke was seen coming from a rooftop unit.
HYANNIS - Hyannis firefighters was called to the Sturgis Charter School at Main and Pearl streets on noon Wednesday after receiving a report of the smell of smoke in the building and a fire alarm going off. All students and staffers were evacuated. Firefighters checked the building and isolated the problem to a large rooftop unit that had started to smoke and was quickly brought the incident under control. Students and teachers returned to classes in about an hour.

(Story and photos by Frank Paparo)

Dangerous situation averted in Barnstable

An alarm and suspicious noise brought authorities to a cycle shop in Barnstable.
BARNSTABLE - At 3:45 p.m. Wednesday Barnstable police got several calls from nearby businesses of suspicious voices and a burglar alarm sounding in Nakutis Custom Choppers and Rods motorcycle shop at 53 Thornton Drive in Barnstable. 

The owner of the shop is still recuperating from the serious cycle crash several months ago on the same street. The shop is on the same street where copper pipes were stolen from in another business several several weeks ago.

When three police cruisers arrived the alarm was still sounding and no one was in the shop, but a hissing sound was heard from inside and no caretaker was available, according to police.

A police lieutenant was called to the scene and several detectives also arrived. It was decided to force entry into the place. Police discovered the air compressor had given way, set off the alarm and compressed air was filling the closed structure.

Police secured the air compressor and called Barnstable firefighters for further assistance.  Police and firefighters were on the scene for an hour to 75 minutes.

A business owner passing by was told by another business owner that it was a good thing that the air was secured or it could have become a major problem if it continued.

(Story and photos by Frank Paparo)

Crash in front of Yarmouth police station
-Yarmouth police didn't have far to go for a two-car collision almost directly in front of their station on Higgins-Crowell Road shortly after 5 p.m. Wednesday.

Two people were transported to Cape Cod Hospital for treatment of minor injuries.

 (Photo by R. Copley) 


Man arrested for alleged pipe attack
- Barnstable police arrested a local man after a fight ended with another man receiving serious facial injuries, allegedly inflicted with a 16-inch pipe. The two men got into an argument at an apartment at 22 Main St. over a football game they were watching, according to police. 

The injured man was treated by Hyannis rescue but refused to go to the hospital. The suspect fled but was arrested by police walking along Yarmouth Road, reportedly with blood on him. William Malouhos, 50, was due to be arraigned Wednesday in Barnstable District Court on charges of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.

Dangerous drugs stolen from Bourne veterinarian
- Bourne Police are warning local residents and asking for their help after potentially deadly drugs were stolen from a veterinarian office. A number of 100-milliliter vials of Euthasol used to euthanize animals were taken. The drug has extremely high levels of phenobarbital, which in small amounts can be deadly to humans. Anyone with information is urged to contact Bourne police at 508- 759-4451.

Crash closes Route 6 during morning commute

An early morning crash shut down the Mid-Cape Highway. The vehicle involved is behind the van on right.
HARWICH - An early morning crash Wednesday on Route 6 eastbound at Exit 10 sent two people to Cape Cod Hospital with unknown injuries.  Rescuers used the Jaws of Life to free the passenger 80-year-old Anna Mastro of Shrewsbury. She was taken to CCH and later transferred to a Boston hospital. The driver, her husband, 76-year -old Vincent Mastro, was treated at Cape Cod Hospital and released. The accident closed Route 6 in both directions and created a massive traffic jam on surrounding roads, making the area look like greater Boston in the morning. Route 124 at Queen Anne Road was a nightmare backing traffic into Brewster. The crash remains under investigation by state police. (Story and photos by Jake O'Callaghan)

SUV vs. Parked Car in South Dennis
   Dennis police inspect the scene and question the driver of the Toyota 4Runner.

dennis090507bSOUTH DENNIS - A Toyota 4Runner jumped the curb at 171 Great Western Road and slammed into a Nissan Maxima parked at the Mill Stores' manufacturing facility shortly after 1:30 p.m. Wednesday.

The owner of the Maxima, an employee at the facility, came out of the building to find his car with severe damage to the front end. The Toyota was apparently headed east on Great Western Road just east of  South Gages Way when its driver lost control.

There were no injuries to two women in the Toyota, which appeared relatively unscathed by the collision.

In photo at right, the owner of the Maxima inspects damage to his vehicle.

(Photos and story by Kevin Morley)

Brush fire in Centerville
-  Centerville, Osterville, Marstons Mills Fire (COMM) was sent out at about 6 AM for a brush fire. They cleared soon after with nothing found.

Then they were redispatched at about 9:15 AM for a smell of smoke around the Lumber Mill Road.

After searching for about 30 mins the fire was found deep in the woods at the end of James Otis Road. The fire burned deep about a foot down in the ground so firefighters needed about 2 1/2 hours to wet down the area with foam to make sure the fire was out. welcomes thoughtful comments and the varied opinions of our readers. We are in no way obligated to post or allow comments that our moderators deem inappropriate. We reserve the right to delete comments we perceive as profane, vulgar, threatening, offensive, racially-biased, homophobic, slanderous, hateful or just plain rude. Commenters may not attack or insult other commenters, readers or writers. Commenters who persist in posting inappropriate comments will be banned from commenting on