1959: Boston to Cape rail service to end in one week. 2007: That spring storm is still changing Chatham's barrier beach
This beautifully engraved $1,000 Bond Certificate from the Cape Cod Railroad Company was issued in 1871 and has a Civil War era IRS stamp affixed to it. It is hand signed by the Company's President (Richard Borden) and its Treasurer (E. N. Winslow).
1959: There was once a Cape Cod Railroad Company
NY, NH & Htfd RR cancels service
On this day in 1959, our local chamber of commerce began a half-century long failing effort to get train service to Cape Cod.
TALKS SET MONDAY ON CAPE COD TRAINS
HYANNIS, Mass., June 12 -- A conference at New Haven on Monday will seek some means of resuming New York to Cape Cod train service, a Cape Cod Chamber of Commerce official said today...
A half century ago Norman Cook was the first Executive Director of the chamber. He worked with the Massachusetts Attorney General to try to force the railroad to rescind their decision to halt service.
Think of what a benefit that service would be today as gas prices continue skyward. See story on right.
Cape Cod Railroad History
- 1848 Cape Cod Branch Railroad reaches Sandwich from Middleboro.
- 1854 Cape Cod Railroad reaches Yarmouthport and Hyannis.
- 1861 Cape Cod Central Railroad formed to build to Orleans reaching there in
- 1868 Cape Cod Railroad Company was formed by the consolidation of the Cape Cod branch and the Cape Cod Central
- 1870 Cape Cod Railroad reaches Wellfleet.
- 1872 Cape Cod Railroad reaches Woods Hole and Provincetown.
- 1872 Cape Cod Railroad merged with Old Colony and Newport to become Old Colony Railroad.
- 1887 Spur built from Harwich to Chatham.
- 1894 Old Colony Railroad leased to New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad.
- 1959 New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad ends service to Cape Cod.
2007: That spring storm is still changing Chatham's barrier beach
How powerful can mother nature be? Spring storms punched a hole in a popular Cape Cod beach, turning some home into islands. Now, Chatham officials are seeking ways to confine the damage... maybe even fill in the breakthrough.