Dennis Port Fire Takes Life of Family Dog

Stove top apparently left on...

From the Dennis Fire Department:

05/22/2019 - A fire on top of the stove at 544 Rte. 28 Unit 4 took the life of a family dog. When Dennis firefighters arrived at 11:54 pm they were met with a heavy smoke condition in the apartment and the dog outside unresponsive. The tenant apparently forgot he left the stove top on that caught some items on fire in the kitchen. Firefighters quickly pulled and stretched a 1 3/4 hand line and extinguished the fire in the kitchen and checked for extension into the walls with a thermal camera. Firefighters were on scene for about a half hour.

There was an apparent delay in response when the tenant called the landlord first as he attempted to put the fire out when he returned home and not 911.

The investigation does not appear to be suspicious at this time


CapeCodToday.com welcomes thoughtful comments and the varied opinions of our readers. We are in no way obligated to post or allow comments that our moderators deem inappropriate. We reserve the right to delete comments we perceive as profane, vulgar, threatening, offensive, racially-biased, homophobic, slanderous, hateful or just plain rude. Commenters may not attack or insult other commenters, readers or writers. Commenters who persist in posting inappropriate comments will be banned from commenting on CapeCodToday.com.